Quick 5 with Matthew
- When did you start drawing? I grew up more of a 3d artist. I was a glassblower and ceramicist from age 11 and drawing wasn’t as interesting to me. I started drawing and embracing the whimsical naive style my style had in Junior year of College.
- What project are you most proud of? In 2009 Swatch hired me to create three watches for their Artist Collection. My work was on billboards/buses/magazines etc. i had billboards in Times Square, China, Europe etc. It was my fifteen minutes of fame. The collection launched in Venice Italy and they flew my wife and I out for the launch. It is something I’ll never forget.
- Who’s your favorite artist / who or what inspires you the most? I don’t have one favorite artist. A short List is Egon Schiele, Warhol, Haring, Burton, Seuss, Daumier, Nara, Calder. I’m inspired by products. The ability to change a tee or can with design and art. I like to embrace the commercial end of art. I’d rather my work be seen by lots of people rather than hang on a gallery wall for an opening on one random Thursday evening.
- What’s your favorite instagram accounts to follow? I like @hypebeast and @hypekids for trends/brands and @ifyouhigh for fun and ideas.
- What’s your favorite type of drawing to draw? I draw a lot of animals and characters. I don’t do it on purpose. It’s almost like when my mind in’t thinking and I start to draw I start with eyes and go from there.
- Anything else you want to tell KIDBOX readers? Follow me on instagram! @MathewLangille
Mathew left lots of free space for your kids to add their artwork to the front and back cover of this summer’s newspaper. Share your designs with @KIDBOX